How to take care of the baby
Put into practice these tips from pediatricians and other mothers who have gone through your situation: you will develop significantly in the first months with your child.
Caring for a newborn is an adventure for any mother. For gilts, because they face an unknown situation. And for those who have more children, because there are not two identical babies and it is very likely that the techniques they used with their previous child will not work with the newcomer.
The voice of experience
To avoid feeling overwhelmed and add more knowledge to those you already have (you’ve probably read lots of books on the subject), we’ve talked to experts and other mothers who have found themselves in your same circumstances.
Thanks to them we have compiled a list of ideas of our baby classes that can facilitate your day to day with your little one.
A good break
To have a good day is a must have spent a good night (the baby does not do the night followed is normal and does not mean that he sleeps badly, being so tiny you need to wake up several times to eat).
But what you can do is follow several guidelines so that your child’s dream will be more refreshing.
- During the first months, put him in a bassinet, not in a giant crib. By having a smaller size, your child can touch the boundaries of where you are; you will feel more secure and sleep better.
- Change the bulb of your bedside lamp to one of bluish light. You will avoid being unveiled when you give him nightly shots.
- It is also wise to place your bassinet beside your bed but in the opposite direction. In this way, when you provide the light and join to attend to it, there will be an immediate exchange of glances between you. And this will comfort you as much as to, at times, continue to sleep without more.
- Of course, you can rock him so that he falls asleep, but the ideal thing is that you leave him in the bassinet just before he falls asleep. Thus, if he wakes up at night, it will be easier for him to sleep alone.
- Leave a tissue in your crib that smells like you. It will keep you company.
- Put the same tune on a daily basis to indicate that the night begins. Children become better accustomed to acts that are routine.
- To avoid the risk of sudden death, you should never lie on your stomach. Put it face up: this position will prevent you from choking if you regurgitate.
- And so that you do not cover your head with the sheets you must lie down at the foot of the crib; that is, with his feet touching the lower limit of the mattress and with the sheet folded in half and well tucked.
The moment of feeding
Besides sleep, another critical factor for your baby to grow up healthy, healthy and happy is food. He still does not understand schedules, so do not wait to feed him if he gets hungry early, or wake him up if it’s time for his meal and he’s still asleep. During sleep, growth hormone is secreted, and it is true that “sleeping feeds children as much as eating.”
The proper posture
All pediatricians advise feeding the baby with breast milk during the first months. For you to eat better, it is essential that you find a position in which you are comfortable.
- If you get out of bed, settle into a seat with backrest and armrest so that your back and the arm with which you hold your child rest. Your little one should be as upright as possible to make it easier to suck and burp.
- Another option is to stay in bed lying on your side and knock your child in front of you, with his face at the height of your nipple. It will help to put a cushion between your legs, another on your back and another one under your head.
The best technique
- To avoid swallowing air, if you breastfeed, put a large part of the areola in your mouth and if you give the bottle, check that the nipple is full of milk before offering it.
- Try feeding her in a rocking chair. It is studied that the swinging favors the production of breast milk, relaxes the baby and helps to alleviate the gases that accumulate both the child and the mother if they have done the cesarean section.
Calm, sure you eat well
You will know that you are eating enough if you stay calm after the feeding, it takes at least two and a half hours to claim the next one, wet at least six diapers a day and recover in two weeks the weight you lost at birth. Then you will have to earn an average of 200 grams per week.
Help him to expel the gases
- To burp after eating and avoid digestive discomfort, you must keep it upright, lying on your shoulder, for a few minutes.
- So that you do not get your clothes stained when regurgitating, it is a good idea to put a small bidet towel on your shoulder. You can also put one under your head when you lie down: you can quickly change it for another if the stain and do not wake up by moisture.
Each time you change it, leave it for a while with your bum in the air before putting on a clean diaper: the humidity propitiates the scourges. Plus…
- So that the diaper does not touch you, put it tight as if it were a package, but without oppressing you. And if you also try that the waistband is just above the stump, you will also prevent the navel from protruding.
- If you run out of your cream for your ass, you can pour olive oil until you go out and buy it.
Bathe him in the morning if the contact with the water clears him or at night if it helps him relax and fall asleep. The important thing is that you do it every day at the same time, to establish a routine.
- Leave everything you need to hand before you start bathing and if you forget something, go with him to look for him, never leave him alone.
- Before putting the child in the bath, fill it with water and check with a bath thermometer that is at 38 ºC. This way you will avoid burning him.
- You will manage to feel safe in the water if you support your back and neck on your left forearm and use your right hand to stroke and sponge.
- If the water scares you, try bathing it in a bucket. Being taller and narrower will remind you of your uterus and may well accept the bath better.
And other care
Keep them in mind because they are essential:
- If your baby has more than two weeks, take a moment after the bath to cut the nails, because it will have soft. Do it by giving them a straight shape with round tip scissors, so that the spikes do not get into the skin.
- If you have less than two weeks, you should put mittens or socks on your hands, so that you do not scratch yourself, because if you cut your nails, you can damage the mother.
- To remove the milk crust, you can use a specific pharmacy product for it or impregnate the head with olive oil, wait a while and then wash it with neutral soap, giving a light massage before rinsing.
- Since your skin is very delicate, you should wash your clothes separately from yours, with a neutral detergent. To not make a mess you can hang a sack of cloth in your room and go throwing in his dirty clothes.
Learn to calm your crying
Something essential to take care of your newborn is to know that babies tend to cry repeatedly throughout the day and for various reasons. During the first days of life, it is normal for parents to recognize the causes still not and not know how to act.
If your baby cries a lot do not think you’re doing something wrong: almost all babies do it because they have trouble adapting to the world and because crying is, for now, their only way to communicate. Check if it is wet or hungry, take it in your arms, remove some garment if you are sweating or throw it more if your nose is cold …
Methods to reassure him
Little by little you will find out the causes of her tears and how to calm her down. Until then maybe these methods will serve you:
- Bring it to the side of the washing machine to listen to it (without centrifuging). All babies love monotonous sounds.
- You can also record your crying and put it on. He will call so much attention that he will be silent.
- If the lactation is well established, put the pacifier. Suctioning is comforting for babies. Buy two pacifiers and give them alternately to wear them at the same time. This way it will not form any drama if you lose one, because it will have the other.
- If you wake up crying because you are frightened by your movements, wrap him in a thin sheet (without covering his head). That way he will sleep better.
Practicing all these tricks is sure to unfold very well with your little one, but try not to get impatient. The better you know him, the better you will know how to treat him, and that takes time.
And when he is not well?
Itching, runny or gas are problems that usually affect babies in their first months of life. They do not yet have the means to solve it and parents have to help them feel relieved.
In addition to always following the advice of the pediatrician, remember what to do in the following cases.
If you have a fever …
Leave him alone with the diaper and fan him. You can also take a bath with water at 36.5 ºC and let it cool down with the child inside.
If you have snot …
Aspire them with a nasal aspirator or help them expel them with saline. So that you do not swallow them, lay them on your side and apply a few drops in one pit while gently pressing the other.
If you have phlegm …
Roll your index finger in a little gasket and holding it with your thumb, put it in your mouth. The phlegm will stick to the veil and you will remove it without risk of scratching the palate.
If it has gases …
Lie on your back and take your legs bent towards the abdomen, pressing it a bit. You can also give circular massages in the gut, with the palms of your hands, in a clockwise direction.
If it is itchy …
Keep the affected area in the air and as dry as possible (sweat, water, pee …) and apply the anti-coats ointment or talcum powder that the pediatrician tells you.
Mom, you must take care of yourself too
Now that your baby has become the center of attention, it’s easy for you to forget yourself to dedicate yourself exclusively to taking care of her. But if you do not take care of yourself, you will not be able to attend to him as he needs it.
Do not take responsibility for everything. It is essential that the father is fully involved in the care of the child, that you take turns for all the attention that does not depend on you (such as breastfeeding), to bathe you, take you to the pediatrician …
Ask for experienced help
Try that your mother or a friend with whom you have confidence is close to you these first days.
Focus on replenishing and enjoying your baby and forget about other issues such as having the house shining and tidy.
Do not isolate yourself
Take advantage of your child’s walks to connect with other mothers.
Speak with experts
Have the pediatrician and gynecologist to ask your questions about your child and you.
Get ready every day, even if you do not plan to go out.
Take care of your body
Do not get on a regimen without the doctor’s permission. Once I give it to you, you will see how soon you get back to your size.